Monday, April 8, 2013

The Return of the Hellespont

After a 2 year Hellespont hiatus, I have (temporarily..hopefully) ceased to trot the globe in an attempt to stay put in one place for longer than 9 months, and to focus on the making of fun stuff.  I have seen more than 20 countries on 4 different continents in that time, and I would like to share some of my findings from one of the most surprising countries I've visited; Mexico.

You're probably thinking "Aye?  What's so surprising about Mexico?!?"  I'll tell you what surprised me... I didn't die.  My father used to use Mexico as a threat when I was a child; he'd say "you better stop doing that, or I'll send you to Mexico", at which I'd scream out in burning terror and plead with him not to send me to the land of convicts who used children's corpses as drug mules.  I can't remember what kind of movies my parents let me watch as a child, but they did NOT paint Mexico in a very good light.  I peed myself at the very thought of going there.

Thankfully, I grew the eff up and developed a desire to visit countries that the majority of the people I knew deemed dangerous for travelers.  I don't have a death wish, I just like finding things out for myself.

My conclusion of Mexico - I have never been more terrified in my life.  Waking up with a semi-automatic weapon in your face every half an hour at security stops while travelling between cities on coaches ain't fun.  Neither is having to RUN after withdrawing money from ATMs in certain areas.  But, I've been twice now.  The food is delectable, the ruins are fascinating and Oaxaca (a small town in the state of Oaxaca, south of Mexico city) has the best market I've ever been to in any country EVER in the history of my being.
















 These tin decorations were handmade in Oaxaca, and can be purchased from future Hellespont stalls or in Miss Tiki's 'AHOY CUTIE' shop located at Shop 3, 214 K'rd, Auckland.



No comments:

Post a Comment